More than ten years ago, Rails framework was written in Ruby programming language. Nowadays, according to Hotframeworks ranking, Rails occupies the third place in the overall list of frameworks used. Ruby on Rails popularity at GitHub repository, number of questions at StackOverflow and Google Trends all demonstrate similar statistics. So why is Ruby on Rails so popular among both developers and entrepreneurs?
Many product owners consider Ruby web development the most productive way to build web applications. Well, it’s not a naked assertion. Ruby allows efficient ways for building applications at each step of development process, when many important components can be generated instead of being coded.
Besides, Ruby on Rails contains many proven methods and policies, recognized by both junior and senior devs, thus guarantying good software design results. It also means that it would be easier to modify and maintain the code in future. Even after launch of Ruby web site, adding new features and making other changes would be a piece of cake.
Ruby web development works for many projects, however it is a perfect choice if your site or app refers to one of the following categories:
- E-commerce. Most e-commerce sites may benefit significantly from user-friendly features and modular-based approach, offered by Ruby on Rails.
- Content Management. If your site is supposed to demonstrate lots of database-friendly content such as articles, video and audio files, etc., Ruby web development would be a great choice, providing easiness to navigate the site, as well as upload and manage the content.
- Custom Database Solutions. Ruby on Rails works perfectly for advanced database structure required for supporting new creative business models.
- Membership Sites. Rails is very good for creating subscription sites, since membership and social networking options are included in it. There is a number of plugins available, which help resolving almost any task of social networking.
Sites using Ruby on Rails
Here at Eastern Peak Software we also enjoy building project on Ruby on Rails. Below are only a few examples:
- GetTaxi/Gett – global taxi service.
- Ubertesters – mobile app testing platform. Backend was written in Ruby.
- Valinta – music plugin and service for developers that enables developers to use real music in games and apps.
Ruby on Rails’ popularity among developers and business owners grows rapidly. So why Ruby web development is in such a great demand?
#1. Ruby is a perfect solution for MVP development
Development of Minimum Viable Product (MVP) to validate the idea with a user base is a baseline for startup strategy. Startups’ software development process is often limited by time and budget, so it is important to find development team who would operate flexible programming tools. Below you will find a few reasons why Ruby on Rails is good for building an MVP.
- Fast programming. The speed of MVP development in Ruby is much higher in comparison with that in similar languages such as PHP or Python. When you’re into startup you always need to build products as quickly as possible. Ruby with its built-in development tools and readymade modules allows you to speed up the development process and focus on your core business.
- Strong Ecosystem and High Compatibility. Being an open source framework, Ruby on Rails offers very mature technology, having great set of features such as multi-platform compatibility, object oriented programming, a lot of free plugins (gems) and good compatibility with other frameworks. Ruby will also work great for startups that prefer to deploy their apps on a PaaS services because of their lower adoption costs.
- Save on development costs. Rails’ technologies significantly prune the budget of the project, which is especially valuable for startups. “Don’t repeat yourself” principle saves much of precious time and budget on development and testing of code. Also, RoR does not imply any costs if you want to use, modify, copy and distribute it.
Here is a true story. We built a Ruby on Rails web app for one of our major clients. This app became so successful that client’s sister companies wanted the same app but with additional functionality and design. With Ruby or Rails we were able to extract most of the core features into a Rails mountable engine, having only one single codebase for several apps. The client was extremely happy with this, and so were we.
- Easy to scale. With Ruby on Rails, startups obtain a working prototype within a short time without spending much money. This prototype may be later developed into a complete application with less efforts.
#2. Simple API creation for your mobile apps
Applications, written in Ruby on Rails, use RESTful architecture by default. RESTful allows easily creating APIs and is a well-recognized paradigm among mobile and web programmers. You also do not need to hire a new developer to implement RESTful code, since Rails would ensure that anyway.
Providing built-in support for JSON data format, Rails is a perfect solution for mobile apps that need backend.
#3. Ruby is perfect for Agile projects
Frequent changes to the scope happen a lot in Agile projects. Ruby on Rails’ modular design helps to reflect these changes quickly with no loss in code quality. Product Owner is able to give instant feedback, and new versions are released very quickly. Automated tests in Rails framework help ensure the absence of bugs during code modification and do not require additional documentation.
#4. Community support
Community support for RoR is amazing – Ruby developers may get free online tutorials, ask and answer questions on forums and get assistance quickly. Vast Ruby developer community always keeps the framework up-to-date. Hundreds of Ruby developers create new modules every day. You also may be sure that applications and plugins are tested for security prior to release.
#5. Automation and development happiness
Developers love Ruby on Rails. This framework automates so many manual tasks that developers can focus on the project’s core features. This ensures the great efficiency of development process and makes business owners also love Ruby on Rails.
Last but not least, built-in Ruby on Rails testing framework provides inexpensive, fast and reliable testing, which make it a sweet spot for developers.
Quick learning, exceptional support and automated features of Ruby on Rails are the reasons why ruby on rails is so popular.
You don’t need Ruby developer when:
- you clearly understand all specifications of your project and not going to change them in the future;
- you want to get something you will never obtain through dynamic programming language (a high performance in combination with low consuming of the server’s resources);
- you are already working with the team of developers who prefer using another framework.
You need Ruby developer when:
- you develop a standard web application and expect it to be a long-lasting project;
- you plan to make frequent changes in requirements and functionality of the app;
- you need a quick prototype or MVP.
Now that you know, what is Ruby on Rails used for and why it is desirable for many developers and profitable for a wide spectrum of businesses, we should say it is one of our favorite development tools. In the end, Ruby on Rails outsource allows you to get a project within less period of time without sacrificing quality and performance of your application or website.
Fill in the form here and we will be glad to talk about your project and answer all your questions regarding our possible collaboration.